My parents and I went shopping to a fancy supermarket last week that stocked quite a lot of amazing goodies. While I snooped around and got myself some amazing mushrooms (recipes pending development), my mom wandered off on her own and got a couple of Italian Lemons since they looked amazing.
Now, when you get something amazing like these lemons, you absolutely do not make conventional recipes with them that drown their identity. They have to shine through. You have to let them speak about their power.
Just as above, my mother, had some ideas. She wanted to convert them into pickles (The traditional Indian kinds). Well, I can’t blame her. Lemon pickle does sound pretty good but then, I wasn’t let her going to have them for a pickle where they would have gotten lost. I stole them from her and racked my already overloaded brain for some ideas that would do justice to thee beautiful yellow things.
I thought of Lemon tarts and Lemon drizzle cake and lemon macaroons even a simple lemon curd but finally, I settled on making a“Lemon Granita” (but a spiked version). Now, some of you would wonder what would be so great about a simple granita but then, it is the perfect recipe to let the main ingredient (In our case, the lemons) shine through. It is almost a 2-3 ingredient recipe and extremely simple to execute.
I made this Lemon Granita but decided to add a bit of complexity to it by just adding a tiny touch of fresh mint and ginger. Of course, this, I touched up with a good splash of white rum. And, I do admit, it is kind of addictive.
Nothing more uplifting than a Boozy Lemon Granita on a hot summer’s evening.
BOOZY LEMON GRANITA
2 Lemons – Juiced
Zest from ½ lemon
Sugar – ½ cup
Water – ½ – 2 cups [depending on the sweetness you like]
Grated Ginger – ¼ inch
Chopped Fresh Mint leaves – ½ teaspoon
White Rum – 30ML
- Heat the water in a pot and add the sugar. Let the sugar dissolve.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes. Don’t boil further as you don’t want a thick sugar syrup.
- To this, add in the ginger and mint. Leave aside until gently warm (not hot).
- Add in the lemon juice and the lemon zest now.
- Mix the solution well.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Add in the rum now. Mix again.
- Now, strain the mixture and pour it onto a flat tray about 1 inch in height so that you have about ½ inch layer of the mixture.
- Place this in a refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Take the tray out after the mentioned time and using a fork, scrape the mix to form shaved ice type particles.
- Place it back into the refrigerator until serving time.
- To serve, quickly spoon the shaved ice particles formed into cold cups or glasses (You can even use the Lemon peels to form cups for serving).